Library Employment - Job Openings
COMPUTER LAB ASSISTANT -
Approximately 22 hours per week, must be available mornings and evenings, will normally include every 3rd weekend. If you have schedule restrictions please include a detailed explanation on or with your application. Assistants may occasionally work more hours (to cover for illness, vacations, etc.) or fewer hours (during holidays), this means you must be flexible and available to work during most of library's open hours. HS diploma or GED required. The successful applicant must have computer experience, as well as experience with Word, Excel, Open Office, multiple browsers and excellent people skills.
Responsible for supervision of lab (including issuing computers and overseeing their use), assisting patrons (helping with resumes, assisting those unfamiliar with the use of PCs and/or the internet, etc.), operating the cash register for printing and other charges, and troubleshooting equipment (clearing paper jams, loading toner and paper, etc.) Some data entry required.
This position includes sick/personal leave after one month and 40 hours annual vacation after one year of employment. The rate of pay is $8.89 an hour.
Apply in person at 300 S. Main St. NO PHONE CALLS. Completed applications accepted until position is filled.
Technical Services Librarian -
Get in on the ground floor of a new adventure. Joplin Public Library is in the process of designing and building a new facility to be a community anchor institution within the area hit the hardest during the EF-5 tornado that destroyed one-third of the city in May 2011.
JPL is in search of a Technical Services Librarian. This is a professional position which requires in-depth knowledge of cataloging principles and practices and practical experience in the processing of print and non-print materials. Supervises employees and volunteers in the department. The successful candidate will work with a team of other Department Heads and Library Administration to carry out the goals and objectives for the library district’s strategic plan. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Requirements of Position:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited graduate program.
- Comprehensive knowledge of MARC formats, AACR2, RDA, Bibframe, Dewey classification and Library of Congress subject headings and authority control.
- High clerical aptitude; detail oriented; excellent keyboard skills.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of automated library systems (Polaris environment), Windows, Excel, Word and other library programs.
- Prefer three to five years’ experience withtwo years’ supervisoryexperience preferred.
Start Date: August 1, negotiable
Submit cover letter and resume by May 31, 2015 to:
Jacque Gage, Director
Joplin Public Library
300 S Main Street
Joplin, MO 64801