Library Employment - Job Openings
Children's Department Librarian -
Exciting things are happening at Joplin Public Library. This is an opportunity for the right candidate to lead JPL’s Children’s Department through these changes. Joplin Public Library is in the process of building a new 57,000sf facility to be a community anchor institution within the area hit the hardest during the EF-5 tornado that destroyed one-third of the city in May 2011.
Joplin Public Library’s Children’s Department has been designated as a “Family Place Library” through its national office (www.familyplacelibraries.org). Creating young readers through early literacy is an important part of the library’s strategic plan.
This is a professional position requiring supervisory abilities, currently supervising five part-time employees. Skills in collection development, budgeting, grant writing, and organizing and conducting children’s programming are also necessary.
The successful candidate will work with a team of other Department Heads and Library Administration to carry out the goals and objectives for the library district’s strategic plan. This is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Examples of work performed:
- Plans and conducts story times, the summer reading program, tours and other children’s programs
- Trains staff in all aspects of providing service to children, parents and all other patrons using the Children’s department
- Attends professional meetings and training workshops
- Provides reader’s advisory assistance
- Schedules staff
- Conducts staff evaluations
- Responsible for materials selection and collection management for the Children’s department
- Provides outreach services
- Keeps departmental records and statistics
- Develops departmental goals and helps implement them
- Creates promotional material
- Manages and facilitates Family Place Library programming
- Responsible for designing and maintain a physical space that enhances early literacy, learning, and parental involvement.
- Designs and manages annual budget for children’s department in conjunction with library administration
- Writes and administrates grants as available for children’s department
Requirements for position:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited graduate program
- Aptitude for working with the public, especially children and their parents
- In-depth knowledge of children’s literature and interest in a variety of subjects
- Skill in application and interpretation of library policies and procedures
- Strong communication and public relations skills, both oral and written
- Must be able to maintain a cheerful demeanor under pressure
- High clerical aptitude, detail oriented and excellent keyboard skills
- In-depth knowledge of library automation system, basic computer programs, and the Internet
- Excellent grammar and telephone manners
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
Salary Range: $38,900 - $42,959 DOQ. JPL also offers a comprehensive benefits package of paid leave and paid holidays; health and life insurance; worker’s compensation; flexible spending accounts; and LAGERS (Missouri Local Government Employees’ Retirement System) benefits.
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references by February 1, 2016 to:
Jacque Gage, Director
Joplin Public Library
300 S Main Street
Joplin, MO 64801