Library Employment - Job Openings
TEMPORARY CHILDREN’S ASSISTANT:
Classification: Library Assistant 1:
We are hiring for 1 20hpw temporary position
Definition of work:
A position that combines professional and clerical duties in supporting reference and programming services to the public with a wide familiarity of all library procedures and policies, and an ability to interpret these to the public.
Examples of work performed:
Assists patrons in finding information, in person, on the telephone, and via email
Maintains order in the Children’s department
Helps patrons locate materials in the collection and retrieves materials from storage
Assists patrons with the computers in Children’s department
Organizes and implements a Summer Mailer program
Enforces library policies
Instructs patrons in basic library use
Shares duties to open and close the Children’s department
Assists with reader’s advisory
Helps conduct storytimes, tours and other children’s programs
Performs other duties as assigned by the Children’s Librarian
- Two years of experience working with children 5th grade or younger
- Skill in application and interpretation of library policies and procedures
- Good communication and public relations skills
- Must enjoy working with the public, especially children and their families
- Must be able to maintain a cheerful demeanor under pressure
- Must be willing to help present in-house and outreach library programs
- High clerical and organizational aptitude
- Working knowledge of library automation system, basic computer programs, and the Internet
- Knowledge of children’s literature and interest in a variety of subjects
- Excellent grammar and telephone etiquette
Starting pay is $10.00/hr
Must apply in person at Joplin Public Library, 300 S Main St
Starting date is May 1.
Applications accepted in person until position is filled.
Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.